[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Snow of the Season
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:28 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Well we had our first snowstorm of the season yesterday and it was coming down really fast and accumulating fast as we got 8" of snow in Reisterstown. This morning Barbara and I went out the clean off the cars and shovel out our driveway and sidewalks. Kelsey had a ball running through the snow especially last night when the snow was still light and fluffy. Today as it started to melt it became heavier and wetter so she was crunching her way around the back yard.

Now I'm glad that I had a chance to detail my car and really protect the paint from the elements! :banana:

The Red Baron
MCOM Treasurer-Historian

Attachments:
DSC_1613 (800x536).jpg
DSC_1613 (800x536).jpg [ 277.03 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]
DSC_1614 (800x536).jpg
DSC_1614 (800x536).jpg [ 246.4 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]
DSC_1615 (800x536).jpg
DSC_1615 (800x536).jpg [ 354.1 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]
DSC_1616 (800x536).jpg
DSC_1616 (800x536).jpg [ 348.48 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]
DSC_1617 (800x536).jpg
DSC_1617 (800x536).jpg [ 337.4 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]
DSC_1618 (800x536).jpg
DSC_1618 (800x536).jpg [ 316.36 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]
DSC_1619 (800x536).jpg
DSC_1619 (800x536).jpg [ 331.28 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]
DSC_1620 (800x536).jpg
DSC_1620 (800x536).jpg [ 197.02 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]
DSC_1621 (800x536).jpg
DSC_1621 (800x536).jpg [ 192.46 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]
DSC_1622 (800x536).jpg
DSC_1622 (800x536).jpg [ 183.1 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]
DSC_1623 (800x536).jpg
DSC_1623 (800x536).jpg [ 222.63 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]
DSC_1624 (800x536).jpg
DSC_1624 (800x536).jpg [ 200.72 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]
DSC_1625 (800x536).jpg
DSC_1625 (800x536).jpg [ 209.68 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]

Post subject: Re: First Snow of the Season
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:43 pm 
Vice President
Vice President

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately I didnt get my car cover in time or space made in the garage before the snow. The Gray Ghost turned into a white snowball yesterday lol

Attachments:
GhrayGhostsnow.jpg
GhrayGhostsnow.jpg [ 319.59 KiB | Viewed 4314 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:01 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

It started around 9:30 am and came down so hard and fast that it took everyone by surprise Bruce.

I had posted some of these pictures on the Red Mustang Registry and immediately I got at least five responses from people asking me why I didn't put a car cover on my car. Since the car is a daily driver I never gave much thought to buying a car cover. That's why I use a paint sealant to keep the elements from damaging the paint.

The Red Baron
MCOM Treasurer-Historian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:06 pm 
President
President

Car covers are THE WORST THING to put on a car that is parked outside. Cover will actually do more damage to the car then the elements.

1967 Fastback 289, C4, Magnum 500 wheels, Long Tubes

1989 LX Notchback 5.0 supercharged SSP too much to list

2011 GT some basic bolt on goodies

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:53 pm 
Vice President
Vice President

James,

Thanks for the information. I was looking around for a good durable cover to buy if i have to leave the Ghost out this year. However, what you said got me to thinking of the possibilities for damage and I may hold off on getting one.

Bruce

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:12 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

I've never been a believer in car covers especially in wet and snowy conditions. If moisture gets under the cover it will cause more damage than if left uncovered. That is why I use a paint sealant on my cars exterior because it creates a barrier to protect the paint. None of my cars have ever had a car cover and have never been garaged but through proper care they have all come through many years of cold, snowy weather without any damages.

When we used to have a campsite on the Chester River in Chestertown, MD, I had a 16' bow rider boat with a 50 HP Mercury outboard engine. I restored that little boat with a new interior from Boat US and West Marine and had it looking like new. The Power Squadron Coast Guard Inspector loved this little boat and always gave us top marks for having the boat pass their safety inspections each year. At the end of the season I would do a maintenance on the Mercury engine and completely cover the boat with a custom fitted boat cover. I placed anti-mildew packs inside the boat before covering it up to prevent as much as possible any mildew problems caused by the long winter. Despite all of this preparation I still had some evidence of mildew on the seat cushions when I uncovered the boat the following spring. It was easy to clean off the mildew with a mildew cleaning product but no matter how well I covered and protected the boat I still had problems so having a cover is not an end all for car protection either.

The Red Baron
MCOM Treasurer-Historian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:44 pm 

couple pics from our 1st snow at the new house :santa:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:06 pm 

Those pictures were quite impressive as we didn't get anything except a wee bit of ice.

I am surprised you haven't gotten a car cover for the Baron and the Wife's Hyundai.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:08 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:41 pm 

I actually meant this:

Attachments:
th.jpg
th.jpg [ 9.31 KiB | Viewed 4286 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:49 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Now that's my kind of car cover! :btu:

I'm actually looking at a 10'x20' portable car shelter that I saw advertised at Harbor Freight to put over my driveway so that I can do my car detailing under a protective cover. :thumbsup2:

The Red Baron
MCOM Treasurer-Historian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:52 pm 

See that one pictured could be bolted down to your cement slab and depending on your neighborhood and or HOA could be an issue? But that could keep the heat and other elements off your cars and maybe less shoveling of snow.

:btu:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:54 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

We have a huge slope in our driveway Dirk. This type of structure unfortunately wouldn't work for me as much as I would love to have a semi permanent roof over my driveway. :cussing:

The Red Baron
MCOM Treasurer-Historian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:17 pm 

That is a bummer about the slope in your drive. :yikes: